Highlights in the history of the Gig Harbor Library.
May 1946 - In Gig Harbor, the Pierce County Library System opened its first branch.
1960s - Gig Harbor Branch moved to a downtown building.
February 1981 - Gig Harbor does not renew contract with Library System
1981 - Library moves outside city limits to a 1,400 square foot storefront in Pt. Fosdick Square and is renamed Peninsula Library.
1983 - Library space expanded to 3,600 square feet.
1988 - Gig Harbor city annexed to Library System.
April 1990 - Peninsula Library opens in 15,000 square foot building at 4424 Pt. Fosdick Dr NW, built with library district bond funds.
2005 - Peninsula re-opens after remodel, with self-service check-out.
April 2006 – Peninsula Library became first branch to install a Wi-Fi hotspot, allowing wireless Internet access for personal laptops.
Tel: 253-548-3300 Fax: 253-537-4600 Washington Relay TTY: 711
© 2012 Pierce County Library System All rights reserved.