Library Rules of Conduct
The Pierce County Library System creates inclusive, welcoming, and respectful spaces and experiences for all community members. The Library supports activities and usage that are safe, non-discriminatory, and supports the varied ways users’ choose to engage with the Library. Specific behaviors are required to maintain this positive and beneficial environment.
To establish the Library’s expectations that ensure a safe, welcoming, and respectful environment for the public, staff, and volunteers through all service locations (e.g., in-person, by phone, mobile services, and online) so that library services can be the greatest benefit to the greatest number of people.
Adherence to the Library Rules of Conduct is necessary so that all people can experience the Library as an enjoyable space. Staff applies these rules in a fair, respectful and consistent manner for the benefit of all. Any behavior that unreasonably interferes with others’ use and enjoyment of the Library may result in actions outlined in the Exclusion from Library Services policy.
The following behaviors and activities are defined as unacceptable and will not be permitted:
- Disruptive behavior, such as creating loud noises, loud talking, or screaming.
- Participating in unsafe activities and behaving in manners that are unsafe.
- Failure to be fully clothed, including shoes.
- Bodily hygiene that unreasonably interferes with others’ use and enjoyment of the Library.
- Using library facilities and grounds for purposes other than those intended by the Library (e.g., bathing, camping, washing).
- Neglecting to provide necessary supervision to children.
- Verbally intimidating or using discriminatory language to other customers, staff, and volunteers.
- Smoking or vaping on library grounds.
- Soliciting (e.g., sales, canvassing) and panhandling.
- Possessing animals other than service animals on library grounds.
- Consuming food or beverages in areas not authorized by the Library.
- Sleeping or appearing to be sleeping in the Library, having feet on furniture, or blocking aisles, exits, or entrances.
- Engaging in any activity in violation of a library policy.
- Using audible devices without headphones or in a manner that disturbs others.
- Failing to comply with a reasonable staff request to cease behavior that interferes with the effective functioning of the Library.
The following behaviors and activities are prohibited:
- Behavior that is prohibited by law.
- Carrying weapons in violation of state or federal law or leaving a weapon unattended.
- Displaying weapons in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.
- Exhibiting sexual misconduct, including obscene acts.
- Inappropriately using library property in library facilities and on library grounds, including technology and other equipment.
- Trespassing in non-public areas of the Library.
- Fighting or assault.
- Threatening other people using the Library, staff, or volunteers verbally, physically, or in writing.
- Selling, using, or possessing illegal controlled substances or alcohol in library facilities and on library grounds.
- Being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
- Damaging or stealing library equipment.
- Refusing to leave the Library after being issued a trespass or returning within a trespass period.
Each person using the Library is responsible for their safety, the safety of children in their care, and the security of their personal belongings. The Pierce County Library System is not responsible for the safety of the users against their own acts or the acts of other library users.
Board Policy 2.14
Adopted by the Pierce County Rural Library District Board of Trustees, April 11, 2007. Revised November 10, 2010, October 9, 2019.
Download or print PDF of policy